Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Martian: a very short review

I happened to do some traveling recently and had some time to read.

One of the books I read was Andy Weir's The Martian: A Novel.

The Martian is a book about survival.

On Mars.

There are many great books about survival, both fiction and non-fiction, and the topic is very popular in movies, as well (Gravity is a recent example; Castaway a slightly older one).

The Martian's great appeal in this genre is that, well, it occurs on Mars.

And the author is fascinated by the concept of extraterrestial exploration, and has done his research, and thus writes with both passion and substance.

It doesn't hurt that Weir clearly has an abundance of writing talent, and can spin a tale.

The book just races along. I'll often dawdle in a book, as I have so many other distractions available. But The Martian is a compelling thriller and I sped through it in barely 10 hours.

I hope Weir continues to write, and I hope his subsequent efforts are as good as his debut.

No comments:

Post a Comment